Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Think Spring

Welcome  Springtime!  I can hardly wait to get the salsa garden going, but in the meantime I'll keep on sewing the little things that make me happy....


  3d butterflies on batik 18"x 16"



This is my variation of the pattern that is a current freebie, via Quiltmakers Magazine on Facebook.  It's a limited time freebie (ends March 31, 2013)
check it out.

This project was totally made from leftovers from other projects.

The bodies of the butterflies are a program pattern built in my Janome 6600. I programmed various elongated lengths and used variegated thread 

The antenna are also a program stitch I elongated and used a "mirror" option to reverse it. It's the first time I tried that type of programming. Kinda Cool.     



 The blue border is leftover border fabric from one my son's "Turning Twenty" quilt. I had made 2 "Turning Twenty" quilts that Christmas (one son was turning 20 to 21 and my other son was turning 20 in Spring)

The solids were leftovers from a project via Joanns (their pic) titled "Hexagon Color Wheel"  it's also a freebie.  Make one for your sewing room, I refer to mine often. 

 




Years ago, I cut way too many pieces of the batik background when I was finishing another dollar block winning. 

I titled it "3 Octobers of Random Stars".
 I won 14 of the large stars as dollar blocks in October 2004. Added additional Ohio Stars large & small October 2010, using another freebie pattern via Quiltville titled "Random Ohio Stars". The borders, long arm machine quilting & binding done in October 2011.  






When this quilt came back from the professional long arm quilter, it had a noticeable rip on the back which showed through on the front.









She apologized and told me she would give me a substantial price reduction on my next quilt to be long arm quilted.   

 I repaired it myself using Bo-Nash (powder fusible) and very small stitches. 


Oh enough of being a Debbie Downer - it's Spring. Celebrate all things new. I should go pull weeds and plant seeds but it's raining.  Must be time to sew something new and maybe a freebie

1 comment:

  1. Your 3-d butterflies on batik is quite interesting. Sounds like the computer options of your machine are fun to try and the results are fabulous. Family benefit from our labor and to complete 2 quilts in a short time span is amazing. Now that 3 Octobers of Random Stars quilt is beautiful and too bad the professional quilter really messed up!!!Glad you could repair it:-). Get that Salsa going......

    ReplyDelete