Thursday, July 24, 2014

Travel Case for TurboTeal

It had to be won to get this done....

 Can one ever have too much in sewing paraphernalia? Is is wrong to want to try out another product or even better WIN products, fabrics or patterns?  I think not. I am fortunate to have acquired the Turbo Teal New Home Janome Sewing Machine.
      
 

  It is a basic machine with 10 stitch capabilities and a reverse lever.  It's a lightweight 5lb machine. It arrived in an inspirational box.




I wouldn't consider myself an advanced "sew-est". I still have issues with placket pockets, my continuous free motion ability, color theory and most of all
 time management.




This was a test run on the stitches this machine can sew.
Later while I was straightening my studio, I found a "fabric test".  I had fused fabrics and batting onto black stabilizer to practice stitches and audition thread colors. It was for a landscape quilt which is part of this challenge.   


The first 57 quilts are a traveling quilt show during 2014 and 2015.


Omitting the white on grey stitching (landscape practice), I was able to maneuver the fabric piece. Then tried adding a binding technique and used the reverse lever to create this.

    


Here is the back. This tension is at factory setting.  Although it cannot make circles, I think many creative projects away from home could be created with this Turbo Teal.

Now it needed a carrying case.

 I found this travel case tutorial.
It's a good tutorial to refer for this style of a case.



Perfect for the 5lb-er.

I drafted a pattern similar to the directions but modified it for Turbo.  I also quilted the top portion.




I wanted to try Kraft-tex, having purchased it when it appeared on market.

(It is recommended to pre-wash in HOT)

This case would have an outside pocket. 

       I used this image
with 12 wt wool thread and a 70/10 universal needle. 


Wash-away stabilizer was not the best idea, next time I'll use a firm permanent type. I like the loft the 12 wt wool thread creates, but changed to a 40wt Rayon thread towards the "eyes" portion of the stitch-out due to machine jams.  The stitches tore the Kraft-tex in different areas possibly due to the 12wt thread and the wrong stabilizer.  It was noticeable to me, so I fused a pocket size fabric swatch on the back and touched it up with a black fabric marker on front. 


This is just a sample of the buttonhole stitches by my machine.  I was auditioning one for the outside pocket placement and to adjust tension.


I'm not a perfectionist, and with this product one should be. Whatever stitch holes are made - they stay permanently.  That's why I did not redo the outline box of skipped stitches.  Not sure why it skipped - it probably needed a new 70/10 needle.  I may go back and hand stitch it to perfection.



Another after thought, when using sentiment tape, make sure it faces down from both ends. 




There was enough left-over lining fabric to make two inside pockets. A 6.5" square ruler can fit in either pocket.

I also top-stitched the 4 upper "box" corners on the seam line.  It helps the lining from shifting. 




The sewing machine pad was once a bedside organizer, but now has an attached grip pad underneath.
 I created an equipment "ditty" bag for the plug ins.




 On a negative note, this Janome lacks a built-in light. So, I purchased in teal color, a flexible LED light and mounted it on the machine. I have also marked a 1/4" from the needle position on the bed with washi tape for hopefully accurate piecing.




It's raring to go.....Turbo Style! 



                                                                      (thank you again Sew4Home!)